When is Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery needed?
The joint where out shoulder blade and the bone of the hand (humerus) meet, has a cup like structure called as a rotator cup. It is not made of bones but it is a group of tendons and muscles that come together to stabilize the shoulder. There are 4 important muscles in the rotator cuff- Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Teres Minor and Subscapularis and these muscles and tendons are also responsible for the movement of the hand.
This rotator cuff can get damaged due to wear and tear or any serious injury. The person who moves his hand in a particular direction everyday can get a cuff tear, for example the carpenters, painters etc. Also, the players whose sport has to be played with arms are prone to the cuff tear, for example basketball, badminton or tennis players. The cuff can also get torn if the person falls on his shoulders or lifts something very heavy at one go.
The doctor can first suggests some physiotherapy to repair the torn muscle. But even after that if the pain does not stop, the person is required to undergo a surgery.
Procedure of Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery
In the procedure of shoulder rotator cuff repair surgery, the torn tendons are attached back to the bones. While re-attaching the tendons, the use of small metal rivets called as the suture anchors can be done to keep the tendons at place. The metal rivets are very small in size which help the connecting tissues between the tendons and the bone to build back and get dissolved over a period of time.
Methods to carry out Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery
The surgery can be done in two ways:
- Open surgery: In the open method of surgery, the tendons are attached by making a big incision in the rotator cuff area.
- Arthroscopy: In this surgery method, a small incision is made in the joint area of the shoulder and the surgery is carried out by inserting a small camera inside the rotator cuff and the tendons are re-attached using small equipments.
Important points to be considered when undergoing Surgery
The person whose cuff is torn should first consult a doctor. For the patients who are above 60 years of age, the can be a probability that even after the surgery, the cuff will not repair much. In case of young patients or the patients who are still working, it is necessary to undergo the surgery as soon as possible because if the damage is ignored, it may lead to permanent damages.
The shoulder rotator cuff repair surgery, in many cases is successful. In only 2-4% cases, there can be an infection. No other complications have ever been recorded in this surgery.
Cost of Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery in India
The cost of shoulder rotator cuff repair surgery in India starts from 3 lakhs. The maximum cost of this surgery can range up to 4.5 lakhs. This cost is however very reasonable when compared to the other countries. In countries like USA the cost of this surgery is $25,000. Many people, especially from USA come to India for this surgery. Patients from Africa, UK, Europe, etc. also come to get this surgery done.
Top rated hospitals in India
Following are some of the best hospitals for Shoulder Rotator Cuff Replacement in India:
- Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Continental Hospital, Hyderabad
- Kohinoor Hospitals, Mumbai
- Aster Medicity, Kochi etc.
These are some of the hospitals which provide world class healthcare facilities to its Indian as well as international patients.
Best doctors in India for Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery
Following are some of the best Shoulder surgeons in India:
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal
- Dr. Vikram Shah
- Dr. P.K Dave
- Dr. Yash Gulati
- Dr. Mahesh Reddy
- “I am Max from England. I am a professional tennis player. Last year I had visited India to play a tennis match with an Indian club. During the tennis matches, I hit the ball at a different angle. I played 3 more matches after that. After 2 days, my shoulder started to pain a lot and I was not able to move my hand at all. I informed this to my coach and he immediately took me to a local hospital in Bangalore. There, the doctor examined my hand and told us that there was a cuff tear. I had to live in India for next 10 days and the pain was worsening. So I decided to call my dad to Bangalore and get operated in India itself. The Indian coach guided us to get a good hospital where all his players got operated. I got operated as soon as my father arrived. The surgery was done through arthroscopy and went very smoothly. I was kept in the hospital for next 5 days. After coming back to England, I had to stop practicing tennis and focus completely on the physiotherapy. After 4-5 months, my doctor from India checked the X-rays and tests and told me that I can join tennis again. Now, a year after surgery, I can play tennis just like before. I am completely happy that I decided to get operated in India where I got such good treatment and care.”
- “I am Rajesh and I am 57 years old. 3 years back I had undergone the Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery. At that time, many friends of mine were facing problems related to joints. One of my friend, who had gone through knee replacement surgery in Delhi, suggested me the same hospital- Indraprastha Hospital for Shoulder rotator cuff repair surgery. So I booked an appointment with a doctor there and met with him. As it was the initial stage of the damage, we decided to operate it immediately so as to avoid the further complications. The environment at Indraprastha Apollo hospital was very warming. The doctors as well as the staff were very kind and took great care of me. I thank my surgeons, physiotherapists and all the other staff who were responsible in making this important surgery a success. I recommend all the patients having Joint related problems, to visit Apollo Hospital.”