When Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is required?
Drug Eluting Stents (DES) comprises a polymer coating along with an antiproliferative drug. It facilitates drug elution for a considerable time period into the coronary walls after the stent implantation is successfully done. Thus, it helps in preventing the recurrence of blockage in the artery. In comparison to the bare-metal stents, these stents are effective enough, not allowing the re narrowing of the artery to arise again.
Types of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting
The commonly available and used drug eluting coronary stents are:
- The sirolimus-eluting Cypher stent- It is coated with an extra layer of nonerodable polymer which acts like a diffusion barrier and initiates the controlled release of the drug. It is specially designed so that 80% of the drug gets released in the first 4 weeks, followed by the 20% in the last 2 weeks.
- Tauxus Stent- This has a coating of proprietary polymer, and although consists of three drug release formulations, only the moderate and slow release ones is chosen for application.
How it is done?
The stent being a metal device is mounted on a balloon and channeled upto the blocked coronary artery. This clears the deposited plaque thereby opening up the passage. The balloon is then deflated and is withdrawn. The stent is implanted to support the artery and keep its walls open. The drug in the stent facilitates the quick healing and prevents restenosis.
Precautions / Points to remember
Certain health related details should be kept in mind after the stent implantation. These include:
- Drug eluting stents though effective, causes blood clotting and thus patients are given blood thinning medications to help deal with this difficulty.
- Also, a healthy diet and medications are advised for a normal living.
- Patients with diabetes often face complications.
- Hypertension has also been reported in certain patients.
- If stent thrombosis occurs, then it can be related to 40-60% mortality because of acute myocardial infarction.
- Rare chances of severe Pneumonitis also prevail.
- After the implantation of drug eluting stents, coronary artery aneurysm may also arise causing difficulties.
Success rate of Drug Eluting Coronary Stent
Many patients with acute heart disorders have been treated with drug eluting stents. It has been successful in preventing the procedure of more invasive methods like coronary artery bypass surgery. It is also beneficial in lessening chest pain. Though effective enough in preventing the blockage of the artery, implantation of it gives rise to blood clots. Thus, this makes the stents less desirable as the patient might need a re-surgery after a span of one year. Treatment of complex lesions like in-stent restenosis, saphenous vein graft lesions with drug eluting coronary stents is still being evaluated.
Drug Eluting Coronary Stent cost in India
Continued improvement in stent technology and low cost treatment in India has made drug eluting coronary stenting an effective therapy. In India, the price of drug eluting stents has recently gone down. The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has increased the price of bare metal stents from Rs.7, 260 to Rs.7, 660. Whereas, the price of the drug eluting stent has undergone a price cut from Rs. 29,600 to Rs.27, 890. This reduction in the price and the affordable treatment package attracts patients from all across the world to get their surgery followed by the implantation done in India.
Top Indian hospitals for Drug Eluting Coronary Stent
India has a number of leading hospitals rendering effective cardiac surgeries including coronary stenting. With advanced technology they cater to every need of the patient making the recovery span shorter and effectual. The hospitals offering successful coronary stenting and mainly using drug eluting stents are:
- Fortis Group ( Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai)
- Apollo Group ( Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata)
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Heart Hospital, Bangalore
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Aster Medicity, Kerala
- Max Healthcare Panchsheel Park, Delhi
- Max Health Care, Gurgaon
- Columbia Asia, Yeshwantpur
- Metromed International Cardiac Centre, Kozhikode
- Jaypee Hospital, Noida
- Kailash Hospital, Noida
Best Cardiac Surgeons in India
India has many expert cardiac surgeons who have contributed immensely to the field of cardiology. Eminent cardiac surgeons in India whose surgical success in coronary stenting has created a remarkable medical history are namely –
- Devi Prasad Shetty, Dr. Colin John (Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City, Bangalore)
- Upendra Kaul , Dr. Sanjay Gupta (Fortis Hospital, Delhi)
- Ashok Seth ( Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
- Puroshotam Lal (Metro Hospital and Heart Institute, Noida)
- Prashant Nair (Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai)
- Praveen Chandra (Medanta- The Medicity, Gurgaon)
- Budhaditya Chakraborty, Dr. Md Abrar Nizami (Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
- Sreekar Balasundram (Columbia Asia Hospitals, Bangalore)
- Dilip K Mishra, Dr. C.S Vijayashankar ( Apollo Hospital, Chennai)
- Manoj Kr Daga, Dr. Ramesh Seshadri (Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata)
Reports often show the successful rates of coronary stenting done in India.
- A 68 year old, patient from Tanzania was diagnosed with stenosed coronary artery. He says, “My artery had a lesion and I was facing a lot of health problems. I was keen to get my treatment done in India as I have heard about successful cardiac surgeries being conducted here. On searching the internet, I came across Medicure Assist and on asking them for recommendations; they referred me to Apollo Gleneagles, Kolkata. On being admitted here, I underwent a safe and smooth surgery. Two drug eluting stents were placed inside me. My doctor explained to me that the stent would help prevent further blockage.
Within 5 days, I was discharged and was given blood thinning medications. The doctor and the hospital staff were very cooperative. I was extremely happy with the treatment I got here and am also thankful to Medicure Assist for the guidance I received from them, in my entire span of treatment.”
- Another patient from India says “I was suffering from atherosclerosis and was having angina along with shortness. I was advised by a relative, to get my treatment done in Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani, Mumbai. I was aided by Medicure Assist to get all the necessary information and soon got myself admitted. The surgery was performed successfully and I met with no serious health issues in my recovery period. I was discharged within a week and was advised regular checkups. A drug eluting stent was implanted and I had an incision in my groin. Medications were given and the hospital staff was really helpful. My doctor too was humble and prescribed me with medications as per my needs. I would like to recommend all patients from outside India also, to get their treatment done in India. The treatment provided here not only assures a complete recovery within a short span but is reasonable also. My health has remarkably improved after the stent implantation. I would surely recommend about the hospital and MedicureAssist.com to anyone in need for a successful cardiac treatment.”