Anatomy of the wrist area:
The front side of our wrist is made up of a small passage which is around one inch wide. This passageway is covered with carpal bones. The upper part of the tunnel is covered with a bunch of tissues called as the transversal carpal ligament. This carpal tunnel is very hard and thus it cannot stretch or expand its size. This tunnel also has the median nerve. This is the most important nerve in our body that originate from our neck. It passes through the tunnel and spreads out till our five fingers. The tendons that are responsible for the movement of the thumb also pass through this tunnel.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Sometimes, the tunnel gets narrowed due to swelling. The tissues that are around the tendons pass through this passage swell due to various reasons, making the tunnel smaller. This puts pressure on the median nerve. The tissues that swell are called as the synovium tissues. As a result of this abnormal pressure on the nerve, the person feels pain, weakness in hands, numbness or tingling in the fingers. This is called as the carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be caused because of the following:
- Fractures or serious injuries to the wrist
- Twisting of wrist in an awkward position for a long time
- High blood pressure
- Improper functioning of the thyroid
- Retention of fluid from pregnancy or menopause
- Rheumatoid arthritis
How is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome treated?
This syndrome can be treated in the following ways:
- Non-surgical treatment:
In this treatment, the doctor advises the patient to wear a splint for the whole day. Many types of medications are also capable of reducing the swelling of the tissues. The physiotherapist can also prescribe exercises for this syndrome.
- Surgical treatment:
In this surgery, the ligament which is putting a pressure on the median nerve is cut so as to release the pressure. The surgery helps to widen the tunnel size and brings the functioning of the median nerve back to normal.
Types of Carpal Tunnel Surgery
The carpal Tunnel Surgery can be performed in the following two ways:
- Open Carpal Tunnel release: In this procedure, the doctor will make an incision in that area and he divides the swollen ligament. This reduces the pressure on the ligament.
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel release: in this process, the doctor will make two small incisions and insert a camera through it. The ligament release process will be then carried out with the help of small tools. The surgery will be same as the open carpal tunnel surgery.
Points to remember
The symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome are not very serious in the initial stages. One can misunderstand the tickling feeling or the numbness as just a simple cramp caused by some hand movement. The carpal tunnel syndrome will also keep coming at going depending on its degree and the work that person is doing.
One must not ignore any of the slightest hints that our hands are giving to us. One might lose the grip over things. Whatever it may be, one must not take the syndrome lightly. If this syndrome is ignore it can cause blood clots, internal bleeding and one can lose his fingers due to the ignorance. One must not wait to visit the doctor till the pain worsens.
Success rate of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in India
The carpal Tunnel Surgery can lead into some complications like Infection, bleeding, pain while moving the wrist etc. But in case of maximum surgeries, it becomes successful. Out of the 100 Carpal tunnel Surgery, only 1 or 2 cases experience infection, bleeding or other post-surgery problems.
Cost of Carpal Tunnel Surgery in India
The cost of Carpal tunnel Surgery in India starts from around 2.5 lakhs. The cost of same surgery outside India starts from 4 lakhs. The cost of the surgery depends on various factors like the doctor’s fees, stay in the hotel, other services availed in the hospital, last minute complications and a number of incidental charges before and after the surgery.
Best hospitals for Carpal Tunnel Surgery in India
Following are some of the best hospitals in India to get treated for the Carpal tunnel Surgery:
- Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai
- Global Hospitals and Health city, Chennai
- Apollo Spectra Hospital in Bangalore and Delhi
- Rockland hospital, Delhi
- Columbia Asia, Gurgaon
- Fortis Hospitals in Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Mumbai etc.
The hospitals in India provide the healthcare services of an international standard.
Well known and experienced doctors for Carpal Tunnel Surgery in India
- Dr. Vikas Kapoor
- Dr. Satish Rudrappa
- Dr. Thimappa Hegde
- Dr. Krishna KN
Dr. Alok Ranjan
All these doctors have performed many Carpal Tunnel Surgeries for the last number of years. They are the most experienced doctors in this field as they have been practicing for more than last 15 years. Their perfection and care is unbeatable.
- “I am a resident of Mumbai. About 2 and half years ago I started experiencing some tingling in my wrist area. At night when I slept, I couldn’t feel my hand at all. And when I woke up, I felt needle like piercings in my hand. I was tired of this feeling. So I consulted my family doctor. After doing some x-rays and tests I understood about this Carpal Tunnel Surgery. It was a small surgery, so I immediately booked an appointment with a good doctor in Mumbai and got operated. At first I had many restrictions and also I felt some pain in my hand. But slowly the pain was reduced. Now I have got all the strength back. Even though the surgery was not serious, my doctor operated my case with perfection.”
- “Hello, I am Diane from USA and I am a professional pianist. While playing piano at a concert, I felt very weak in my fingers. This started happening after every concert, every night. So I consulted a doctor, he examined my hand carefully and told me that I was suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. After researching about it for a week I called my friend in India and asked for help. I was going to visit India after a month so he fixed my appointment with an expert doctor at Columbia Asia Hospital in Gurgaon. I flew to Delhi and got operated immediately. The doctor and the staff did not treat me like a stranger at all. After 3 years of this surgery, I am a successful pianist in USA. All the credit of my good health and prosperity goes to the number one doctors and hospital in India.”