When is Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery needed?
In our back, several vertebrae are attached on top of each other to form the spine. Between these vertebrae, there is a canal which gets formed. The spinal cord and other nerves go through this canal to the brain. Sometimes, due to some reasons, the inner part of the vertebrae start overgrowing. These overgrown bones are called as the lamina. As a result, the canal gets narrower and narrower putting a pressure on the spinal cord. This pressure can cause extreme pain and numbness in the back area and can also get transferred to the legs and also have a negative effect on the bladder.
How is Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery done?
In the Lumbar Laminectomy, the surgeon makes an incision on the back where the lamina is created. Using very small sized instruments, the layer of muscles is separated from the bones. By separating the muscles, the surgeon can directly get an access to the lamina. By inserting tools in that area, he removes all the lamina. The surgeon can also remove the herniated discs that are broken and floating there in the spine.
Different methods of treating Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery
There are two methods of performing lumbar laminectomy as follows:
- Open Surgery (traditional method): in this procedure, the lamina are removed by making a big incision at the back. This method can lead to huge blood losses and can lead to many complications.
- Minimally invasive technique: In this method, the entire surgery is performed by inserting a camera through a small incision, using very small tools and equipments. This procedure can give precision, saves a lot of blood and also takes less time for recovery.
Important points to remember
After the surgery the surgeon gives a list of do’s and do not’s to the patients. It is very important that the patients follow these guidelines to get a positive result of the surgery. They are as follows:
- The patients are given a set of exercises that they must do these exercises at regular intervals.
- The patients must not engage themselves in heavy physical activities immediately after the surgery and are instructed to take a bed rest for at least next 3 months.
- They must also take the prescribed medications in time.
The success rate of this surgery is very high in India. Approximately 80-85% patients who undergo this surgery, observe a huge difference after the surgery. In very rare cases, the surgery can lead to complications like blood clots, pain, etc. But this condition is fatal in very rare cases.
Cost of Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery in India
The basic cost of Lumbar Laminectomy starts from 5500 USD in India. The cost of same surgery outside India is five times more than that in India. The cost can however rise up to 7000 USD in case of any complications in the surgery.
Best Hospitals for Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery in India
Following are some of the best hospitals in India to get this surgery:
- Primus super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Fortis escort Heart Institute, Delhi
- Apollo Hospitals in India
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani hospital, Mumbai
- Columbia Asia Hospital, Pune
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital
Top surgeons for Lumbar Laminectomy
Following are some of the best experienced doctors who have performed many lumbar laminectomy surgeries in India:
- Dr. SK Rajan
- Dr. Ramneek Mahajan
- Dr. Arun Saroha
- Dr. Arvind Kulkarni
- Dr. Sajan K. Hegde
- Dr. Sonal Gupta
- Dr. Bipin Walia
- “I am a resident of Dubai and I am 40 years old. 4 months ago, I started to get extreme back pain and slowly it descended till my legs. I could not walk properly. After meeting with an orthopaedician, he told me that I had lumbar laminas in my spine and they were growing more and more. The best option was to undergo a laminectomy. The medical facilities in Dubai were of the world class quality but I couldn’t afford the cost of this surgery in Dubai. The pain was increasing day by day and was becoming unbearable. My doctor said that I require a surgery immediately. Just then I remembered that my neighbour had undergone a brain surgery in India a year back and they had taken the guidance from a travel tourism company. So I talked with my neighbour about that and they provided the contact number of the company. I contacted the company next day. The person with whom I spoke was very patient to hear my case. He explained me how the tour worked. After keeping continuous follow-ups with them, they had arranged a perfect tour for me to India. I flew to India and got operated. The Medicure Assist staff was very understanding and they took care of everything that I and my family needed. After the surgery, even when I flew back to Dubai, they kept contacting me to know about my health. Medicure Assist made this experience so easy for us.”
- “Hello, I am Jenna and I live in England. I am a home maker and a mother of 3 children. Around 10 months ago my back and the neck area started paining very much. When I lied down on the bed, it felt numb. Firstly I thought it was because of the household work. But then the pains descended till my legs. The efficiency of my activities was zero. When I consulted a doctor, he examined my x-rays and showed me how my vertebrae are damaged due to lamina. I was very scared of going through all the medical troubles for the surgery so I kept post ponying to meet the doctor to decide about the surgery. But the pain kept getting worse. My husband did some research for me. That is when he came across companies who provide healthcare solutions to foreigners. After reading the reviews, we contacted Medicure Assist. They told us that they would take care of our accommodation, tickets, appointment, hospital room booking etc. We just had to pack our bags and fly to India. In the next one month we travelled to India and I got operated in a hospital in Bangalore. The doctors and hospital chose by Medicure Assis were very good. They also planned a trip for us in Bangalore. It has been 9 months since the surgery and I feel young again. I thank Medicure assist for providing such a trouble free surgery experience.”