When is Herniated Disc Surgery needed?
Our back is made of a number of vertebrae. They are responsible for all our movements of the back. Between the vertebrae there are small discs called as the lumbar discs. These discs are like small, soft pads which act like cushions for the vertebrae. When we move our back, these cushions do not let the vertebrae rub on to each other. In this way, the vertebrae do not get damaged. When there is any abnormal physical activity related to the back, this jelly like disc gets ruptured. In most of the cases, the lumbar discs situated between the fourth and fifth vertebrae get ruptured. This damage is called as the lumbar disc herniation. This causes extreme pain in the back. The pain can also descend towards the thighs and the legs. In such a case, the herniated or damaged discs are needed to be removed from the vertebrae as they can get stuck between the vertebrae and lead to pain and inability to walk properly.
In such a case, the Herniated Disc Surgery is done,
Different methods of performing Herniated Disc Surgery
The herniated disc can be operated in a number of ways. The type of procedure chosen to operate the herniated disc depends on the following factors:
- Medical history of the patient
- The anatomy of the patient (the size and condition off the spine, muscles, condition of the veins etc.)
- The degree of damage of the lumbar discs etc.
Depending on the above factors, any one of the following herniated disc surgery can be chosen:
- Laminotomy/ Laminectomy: In this type of procedure, the pressure created on the nerve roots by the damaged lumbar discs is released by making a small incision.
- Discectomy/ Microdiscectomy: In this method, the herniated pieces of the discs are removed. If there is a huge damage, the surgeon is required to remove the entire disc.
- Artificial disc surgery: When only one disc is damaged, the surgeons replace the wholly damaged lumbar discs with a plastic or metal ones. However, this surgery is done by an incision on the abdomen and not on the back.
- Spinal fusion: in this procedure, the vertebrae whose disc is herniated, are fused together permanently, they are attached using bone grafts from the other bones in the patient’s body. Small screws and metal fixtures are used to fix the vertebrae together. However, this method can permanently immobilize the fused part of the spine.
Important points regarding Herniated Disc Surgery
One must take care of the following points after the surgery:
- One must do light exercises
- He must take the medications regularly if prescribed
- He must not lift anything heavy or do some heavy physical activity.
- In case of any unusual symptom, he must immediately visit a doctor.
Success rate of Herniated Disc Surgery in India
The success rate of this surgery is very high in India. Around 80-90% people stop getting back problems after the surgery. In the remaining cases, people are not 100% satisfied but they do feel a decrease in the pain. In very rare cases, this surgery can lead to major complications.
Cost of Herniated Disc Surgery in India
The cost of herniated Disc surgery is very low as compared to the other countries. The lowest cost of this surgery in India is 5000 USD. This cost is the basic cost where the damage is very low. Higher the herniation, higher goes the cost. The maximum cost can go up to 9500 USD.
Top best hospitals for Herniated Disc Surgery in India
Following are some of the best hospitals for Herniated Disc surgery in India:
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, New Delhi
- Apollo Hospitals in Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Chennai etc.
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
- Shalby Hospital, Ahmedabad
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi
- Rockland Hospital, New Delhi
Best surgeons for Herniated Disc Surgery in India
Following doctors are some of the best doctors for this surgery in India:
- Dr. SK Rajan
- Dr. G. Balamurali
- Dr. Bipin Walia
- Dr. Ramneek Mahajan
- Dr. Arjun Saroha
- Dr. A.A. Mascarenhas
- Dr. Arvind Kulkarni
- “I am Josh and I live in South Africa. 10 months ago, when I was playing basketball with my friends, I got a serious back injury. My lower back was swollen and it was paining unusually. After consulting my doctor, I understood that the injury had damaged my lumbar discs. The only way to cure it was through a surgery. But there were very few hospitals in South Africa and in the neighbouring regions that had the latest technology to treat herniated disc and they offered this surgery at a very high cost which we couldn’t afford. My family doctor then told me about medical tourism. I found the ideas very cost effective. So I started searching for good countries which provided herniated disc surgery. India was one of those countries. Immediately, I contacted a company called as the Medicure Assist. They replied back with all the details I needed along with the cost of the package. The package included the tickets, accommodation for my family, hospital charges, doctor’s fees etc. They also had provided me the full plan with dates and timings. I was very impressed with the company and finalized the tour. I was treated in India with utmost care and responsibility. Each and every choice made by Medicure Assist proved beneficial to me. My back is now in the normal condition. People who have financial limitations and are searching for a hassle free treatment, should definitely go and contact Medicure Assist”
- “I am Sabine and I live in Kenya. Being a housewife I have much work at home to take care of. But around 7 months ago, this work took a huge toll on me. After a continuous back paining for 3 months, I consulted my doctor. He examined my reports and told me that my lower lumbar discs have ruptured. This problem was not curable without surgery. For a normal family like us, finance was the main issue so we didn’t opt for a surgery in Kenya itself. I and my husband were ready to fly to the country which provides the best healthcare facilities. After making a list of such countries, we decided to fly to India. We didn’t know where to start. So once while searching information about hospitals I came across a company which gives medical guidance to the tourists. My husband wrote them a mail to explain the case. Within a day, they made a rough plan and estimate ready. After we finalized the plan, they prepared our visas and we flew to India. The hospital in Mumbai had a special arrangement for the international patients. We had no problem regarding the communication, food etc. Everything well so smooth. After my recovery we also got a chance to visit some famous places in Mumbai. The treatment time was supposed to be stressful for us, but it was a very good journey for me. I thank Medicure Assist for everything they did for me.”