What is minimally invasive Spine surgery?
Minimally invasive Spine Surgery is a method of performing surgeries. Our spine is a very complicated and delicate part of our body which needs to be operated with highest possible perfection and care, otherwise it can also prove fatal. Minimally Invasive spine Surgery is also called as MISS in the medical terms. It is a procedure where the surgery is done through a very small incision of about 5-6 inches opposed to the traditional (open) spine surgery. In this operating technique, the modern technology is used so as to achieve the required precision in the surgery. Minimally Invasive spine Surgery can benefit in the following way:
- It reduces tissue trauma
- Leads to very less bleeding
- Less exposure to the atmosphere and the harmful radiation
- Quick recovery and less hospital stay.
This surgery can be done to treat any spine disorders like- fractures, tumours, disc herniation, deformity, infections etc. It can also be done to the patients who have already gone through a traditional spine surgery.
How is minimally invasive Spine surgery done?
The Minimally Invasive spine Surgery consists of many types of small tools and equipments. After making the incision, the doctor inserts a obturator in the incision which helps to lift up the tissue and gives direct view of the damaged spine area. The surgeon then inserts small HD camera to take a detailed view of the condition. Using bright lights, camera and tools, the surgery is done carefully. They use tools like facet screws, intervertebral spacers, rods, nucleus replacement devices, pedicle screws, artificial discs etc. After the surgery, the incision is stitched.
The Minimally Invasive spine Surgery can also be done using the Robotic Surgery technology in which most of the work is done using the robots. This techniques is used very occasionally in India.
Points to remember
Even though this surgery has a number of benefit, one must also consider some of the risks before opting this surgery method:
- Damage to the muscles or nerves in the spine
- Leakage of spinal fluid
- Infection in the spine.
However, according to a survey, the outcome of MISS is positive in maximum cases than traditional surgery.
Success rate of minimally invasive Spine surgery in India
This surgery has a very high success rate in India. Almost 75% of the patients feel satisfied after the surgery. In around 5-7% cases, the patient face some complications like infection, fluctuating blood pressure etc. after the surgery. But these post operation problems can be rectified through medications.
Cost of minimally invasive Spine surgery in India
The cost of spine surgery done using the minimally invasive spine surgery is slightly higher than the open surgery. This is because of the technology used in the surgery. The cost of MISS starts from 5400 USD. It can increase in case of some serious surgeries.
Best hospitals for minimally invasive Spine surgery in India
Following are some of the best hospitals for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery:
- Bombay Spine Centre, Mumbai
- Leelavati Hospital, Mumbai
- NOVA Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital
- Sparsh Hospital, Bangalore
- MIOT International hospital
- Fortis Hospitals
- Apollo Hospitals
Expert surgeons for minimally invasive Spine surgery in India
The best spine surgeons in India are:
- Dr. Arun Saroha
- Dr. Alok Gupta
- Dr. Abdul Rahim
- Dr. Sandeep Vaishya
- Dr. Ramaswamy Saravanan
- Dr. Asha Bakshi
- Dr. Shankar Acharya
- “I am a resident of Abu Dhabi. In the last week I returned back from India after a successful minimally invasive spine surgery. 9 months back, when I started to have back problems, I told my doctor. After doing a number of x-rays, MRIs etc. we came to know that I had a small cyst in my spinal bone. I took medicines for some weeks but the pain never reduced. So the last option left was to operate the cyst and remove it permanently. This surgery was a risky one so my doctor advised to do a minimally invasive spine surgery instead of an open one. But when he told me the cost of the surgery, I was shocked. I could never afford that. With the increasing pain, I started searching some alternatives for the surgery. That is when I came across a company in India- Medicure Assist. After reading some articles on their website, it was clear to me that they provide medical guidance to the people who come from abroad. This was my chance. I called them and told them about my spinae problem. I was very unsure of choosing this option at first but then they offered me a tour package with all the best medical facilities in India. The cost was also within my budget. After completing the formalities, I flew to India and got the Minimally Invasive spine Surgery in a very good hospital by an experienced surgeon. It is just a month after the surgery but I don’t feel any pain. The Medicure assist team is also following up with me. Medicure Assist helped me solve a very big problem in my life and I thank them for their support.”
- “I am Megan. I live in USA. 7 months ago, my mother (64 years old) started to feel pain in the back and legs. She was not able to walk properly for long periods of time. When I took her to the doctor, he told us that my mother’s lumbar discs were partially damaged. It was very hard for her to bear the pain. So I decided for a surgery. When I was about to finalise the surgery in USA, my Indian friend suggested me to check out the website of Medicure Assist. It was a company who guided the people who wanted to do a surgery in India. Out of curiosity, I messaged them my mother’s case. To my surprise they reverted back with alternative surgery options whose cost was half of that in USA. It was a great deal for us so we chose the minimally invasive spine surgery so as to avoid complications of the open surgery. After regular follow-up with us, we flew to India when all the required documents and formalities were complete. Medicure Assist had booked an appointment for us with the doctor, booked good hotel rooms and also hospital rooms. All the arrangements were made. My mother went through the Minimally Invasive spine Surgery which went successful. She recovered very fast and in the next 1 month we were back to USA. Considering my mother’s age, we thought that the tour to India will be too hectic. But because of Medicure Assist we were able to save so much energy, money and time. I and my mother are thankful to Medicure Assist for their services.”